Our programs build a confidence that defines futures.
This summer through a city wide initiative, we are offering a paid apprenticeship in graphic design and art/mural making for social justice to residents of NYCHA’s Van Dyke and Brownsville Houses. Learn from creative professionals with years of educational experience and explore topics around social justice to produce a powerful message that will impact your community.
- Learn graphic design with industry standard creative software.
- Create public artwork for social good in your community.
- Receive a $600 stipend while you learn.
- Gain access to YDC’s professional network.
- Develop portfolio building work for competitive college applications and jobs.
- Gain valuable resume building experience.
- Must be a resident of NYCHA’s Van Dyke
or Brownsville Houses.
- Must be between the age of 14 and 24.
- Must have access to the internet.
- Program meets Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 12PM-5PM EST for 6 weeks starting the week of July 27th, 2020. This program is virtual with a culminating project that will involve safely creating art outdoors. Participants must be able to commit to all dates.
- You’ll gain access to the AOT & YDC student network – More than 2,000 students from NYC interested in and/or pursuing degrees and careers in tech
- You’ll gain access to the AOT & YDC professional network – Currently employed tech professionals who volunteer their time with AOT
- AOT + YDC looks good on your resume and college applications
- The demand for programmers is high
- Coding gives you the freedom to build your career
The two 1-week summer technology camps will cover the fundamentals of web design and development. Each of the 40 participants who are selected for the program will receive technical training and a stipend of $400 for their participation and completion of the program.
Applicants for either of the two 2020 AOT + YDC 1-Week Tech Camps must be:
- Between the ages of 12-15 and available July 20-24, 2020 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. for Camp 1 or
- Between the ages of 16-19 and available August 3-7, 2020 from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. for Camp 2 and
- Living in the zip codes below:
Listed below is the application process for the 2020 AOT & YDC 1-week Coding Bootcamp:
- Interested students should have filled out an application form by Sunday, July 5, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. EST. (Application is currently closed).
- Applications will be reviewed by members of the AOT & YDC team.
- AOT & YDC will make a decision to invite selected students to the AOT & YDC 1-week Coding Bootcamp via email.
- Selected students’ parents / guardians will be required to submit a parent / guardian consent form for participation in the program.